The F.A. Cup Final

When I was a kid it was a very big day
a Saturday to beat all others - except for Christmas and birthdays of course 
I wasn't that fussed about the world cup
we were never the same since 1966
especially after we had a West Ham man as captain.
Both channels showed the whole match live
you could flick between channels if you could be bothered to get up to push the button!
At our house
Mum scheduled meals around it 
even though no-one really followed football 
it was about the only time we got to see live footy on the telly
Both channels went mad with the coverage
they were at the team hotels
on the coaches to Wembley - which was quite a technical feet in those days!
It was; 
"what the teams ate"
and 
"what the teams wore"
there were crowds waving flags along the route 
and interviews with family members - it was a very big day!
Coverage started in the morning!

Now, 
even if your team hadn't made it to the final
even if you didn't have a team
or even, 
even if you didn't care about football
or even if your team was West Ham like me
and as such a final didn't happen very often
everyone had an opinion on the outcome!
Of course as a West Ham fan
which I became after 
Kevin "Benny the" Ball 
came to our primary school from London
and he supported West Ham
and I being a very impressionable ten year old
what better team for me to follow!
So the 1975 F.A. cup final was simply too much!
We were in it
and we won!
2 - 0 against Fulham 
Alan Taylor's two goals
Trevor Brooking and all
I was on cloud nine!

Nowadays
I'm not so fussed about it
I'm not really fussed about football truth be told 
I'm too old to even understand the modern style of the game
why they play the way they do
why they fall down so easily after the slightest touch
and their Oscar winning performances on the ground
and quite what is going on with players hair cuts!
and the top players - for it is usually the top teams that make the final 
earn a fortune every month!

It doesn't do it for me anymore 
I don't get it!
I don't understand - but I do still support West Ham!

"Come on you irons!"



No comments: